3rd day to soon to candle?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Sep 14, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I'm like a kid trying to peak into the presents under the tree wondering what or if anything is in there. Do you think I MIGHT see anything on the 3rd day if I tried again? Well, momma has totally laid 15 eggs so far, but still not sitting. So this could get interesting.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    best to wait a week, I read on here, with a trained eye development can be seen at day 4 but 7-10 is the easiest to make out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Some eggs will show blood vessels at day 4, but some may need up to 7 days. That is the time from when the incubation started. It you don't see anything on day 10 in the incubator then the eggs are no good, and it is better to throw them out or they will explode later on in the incubation. An exploding egg will contaminate the other eggs and the outcome is not too good. Plus it will mess up the incubator, and good luck getting the stench out of it. Remember only handle the eggs as much as truly is needed and not more. You will need to learn to sit on your hands and tell your kids to be patient.

4. FunnyBunnies12

I haven't moved them, only the turner has and I'm being a good doobie and waiting until this weekend, this weekend will be 7 days.

5. katharinad

The turner is rather gently. Make sure the wire holds the eggs in place so they don't roll. Don't forget to mist the eggs once per day with 100 degree water. That will draw moisture out and make the air sacks nice and large. Very important for when they start to pip internally.

6. FunnyBunnies12

YIKES I haven't misted I hope that hasn't caused problems. I will do that now. Thanks for letting me know, I thought that was at the end of the cycle.

7. katharinad

Don't worry if you have not done this so far. Just start doing it from now on until lock down.

8. FunnyBunnies12

Actually I'm not sure if the eggs truly roll or not because it's so settle, i've been watching the numbers that I wrote on them and they still seem in relative position but as they turn so do the numbers but not significantly noticable. Now I'm waiting on momma to sit on the 5 that are still with her while I'm incubating the 10. This is going to be a long 25 more days+[​IMG]

9. katharinad

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  10. FunnyBunnies12

Boy I'm screwing up big time, since it's the genesis incubator I just have the thermometer that came with it in there, and it's maintained 100 in there, and the setting where it was at. I'll have to pick one up today. As far as the rack, I'm not sure it makes noises almost like the eggs are hitting but they are in the same position unless it's locking up at times, or it's suppose to make like a click noise with each rotation turn little by little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by