3rd hen to steal hatching egg nest-what do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kingsfarm, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    this morning I found the third hen sitting on the eggs, they are due to hatch Saturday, I think I need to get them out of the hen house because there are over 30 LF hens in there also..but which mama do I move the nest with...just whoever is on it tonight or tomorrow....will wait to get a response from SOMEONE please HELP....thank you will put them in a seperate 5 x 5 area till they can free range with mama....don't understand how to feed them in the middle of all the rest later on, will the mama protect them enough or just leave them in the area (less mama when she gets tired) until they are old enough to go out? wanted to just let mama do it all from the beginning, well that didn't work out.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I suppose with so many hens sharing the same space, it's difficult to pay close enough attention to know them apart. You have a couple choices. You can pick one hen and move her and the eggs, or you can divide up the eggs between 2 or 3 hens. If you pen them separately, at 2 weeks they should be quick enough to free range with mom and stay out of trouble with the other hens. Of course mom will protect them the best she can from the get go, so just letting her handle it is usually OK. Probably, if it were me, I would just let them be and share in the mom duties. If you separate the hens, there is always the chance the hens will fight over the chicks, but not as likely if they share them. If you let them free range, they should be able to eat the same feed as all the rest of them. Now you have some decisions to make.......Pop

3. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    Pop, thank you for replying....because the hen house is raised and the RUSH that happens when I open the coop area door I am really afraid they will be crushed....Best to seperate them I think (at least for 2 weeks like you said) after that I will leave their little seperate area DOOR open so they can go in and out, they probable will go in there to sleep if mama chooses...I just wanted to let nature take its on time but....I could move them to the lower level of the coop after awhile to get them all integrated, the big girls can see the seperated chicks at all times so it shouldn't be too hard....thank you again. now there are two hens sitting...one on all the eggs that are going to hatch and the ORIGINAL little hen is sitting on golf balls....will put another batch of eggs under her what do you think? doesn't seem fair she had been sitting on the eggs all along....twice as much work...shoot.

4. Lollipop

That's a wise choice considering you have a "rush" when the door is opened. Depending on how many eggs the one hen is setting on, you could devide them between the two hens, or you could move the eggs to the original hen and give the new broody some fresh eggs, or like you said, just give the original broody more fresh eggs. Most of them don't mind doing a double, but some will give it up early on the second go round. I have had individuals that would hatch up to 3 clutches and then try to hatch rocks. Then there was the one who set all summer on an empty nest. They never seemed to suffer any ill effects. Sounds like you're having a productive season. Good luck........Pop

5. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    Thank you for watching out for us...wisdom from experience is welcomed by a newbee to chickens but certainly not age...am in my 70's building fences (using electric fence post and plastic fencing with deer net for top) making extended area for free rangeing....the first is completely bare, will plant seed grass ... what would YOU plant in there for #2 area in a month or two? kinda off the subject

6. Lollipop

LOL, You're asking the wrong person about planting anything. Sorry. I will comment on the use of plastic fencing, though. Be carefull about light duty stuff as it provides NO security from predators, other than winged predators. Electric fence is good, but Fort Knox may not keep some determined predators from inialating your chickens. Just a word to the wise.......Pop

7. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    This 2nd area is located in our garden area right out the back of the house...they are only in it during the day when we are home....they are locked up at night...Like you I am aware this is not ideal but only solution to keeping them in...they don't mix with the other 34 chickens because there are roos and I don't want fertile eggs...or maybe I think they are safer seperate, really have to think about that..thanks. they have always been in a covered range area...protected....the big big yard is not with deer netting, good rooster patrol....

8. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    The third hen is the WINNER...5 chicks hatched today, 1 RIR, 3 BO (I think) 1 black....she got off the nest with them and did not go back, there were 2 dead chicks in nest...took rest of eggs and disposed of them....The first little black hen is sitting on a bunch of "community" eggs...two other hens visit the nest when she is out (don't know what they do, lay or sit) anyway she comes back and sits...will have chicks, really don't know how many or what day is day 21, will just wait and see....am so happy with 5, they are in the hen house and the big girls don't bother them at all....Thank goodness... thats how I wanted it to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by