3rd request for help~could someone PLEASE PM me with help~thankyou~Im still not use to new layout of

chickon baby

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
st charles
Feisty is my 1 1/2 yr old RIR,usually she is very feisty,not lately.Last week she was not acting normal,was staying off to the side,drinking alot and still eating but not as much as normal.We thought perhaps our weird weather freezing one day n warm the next was making her feel blaah.She has no obvious deformities.The other night she would not come in w/her sisters.Our set up is enclosed outside play yard n locked in secure coop before dark.Fresh h20 w/ACV,layer feed n safflower seeds n peeled/cored apples for treats.When its cold they do have warm oatmeal or scrabled eggs.Which my kids think is the crazyiest thing to feed chcickens~LOL.WWe brought her in the house Friday night.She has not laid a egg,her underside does feel full n hard.Ive never paid much attetion to know if this is normal or not. She had been poo'ing only liquid w/yellow on the edges but it isnt yellow like a yolk it looks like bile.She has since had a few formed poo's n last nigh it was liquid pooo.She is drinking well,has eaten 1 scrambled egg sun n 1 last night.She has eaten apple pieces as well.She stands up n appears weak but I do notice when she stands up she is "straight up",not the normal its almost like u could put a wooden ruler vertically in front of her n her body alligns with it.Ive been giving her warm bathes n rubbing her bumm w/olive oil.(she loves it n will fall asleep)I saw pics of prolapsed vent thinking she had 1,as her vent has a small piece of skin on the top that hangs down (Need to check my other girls to see if thats normal? Her muscles will contract alot while I massage her.We dont have any vets ard us that will look at her,nobody to help me other than my fellow byc friends but sadly Ive only had 1 reply n I was doing what she adviced.Im lost n dont know what else to do??
HOW DO YOU TELL IF SHE IS EGG BOUND???? WHAT CAN I DO IF SHE IS??????????????
IS THERE A LITTLE FLAP OF SKIN THAT HANGS DOWN OVER THE VENT??? IF NOT,DO I PUSH IT IN??
That piece of skin isnt swollen,red or infected....If she is egg bound,please give me step by steps as to what I can do,please be detailed n specific.I greatly appreciate some help n advice.We have had our other girls for 4 years n thank goodness,nothing has come up,so this is all new to me n quite upsetting n very frustrating~I feel helpless n like Im letting feisty down because I cant fix her up.Thanks for your help.

Hopefully someone can answer you soon. I think it's hard to get speedy replies when everyone is off to their jobs. It sounds like you're doing a lot right to help her. Are you giving her perhaps sugar water for strength? Have you been keeping her in a dark room until you figure things out? Wish I could help you! Maybe you should do an 'eggbound' search. I've seen several good threads.

Last edited:
Do a search for a thread on "egg bound". There are many and you should be able to find other suggestions - one is to insert your finger into her to see if you feel an egg.

Have you tried giving her a nice warm bath and let her sit in the water for a half n hour. It will help her relax. Most love the warm water and wont put up too much of a fight. Good luck.

Here are some links. I have no experience with eggbound hens but I hope this helps:

Just remember that if you try to remove an egg from her it could be very dangerous and you would need to consider taking her to the vet first if she is a beloved pet. Generally what I have seen recommended here is the bath as nakstk said. Also there is such a thing as egg yolk peritonitis, needing antibiotics...you should google this as well to see if you think it could be a problem.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/26414/eggbound-white-pekin-question
see post #2

http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html
here is another link but for all birds

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-treat-egg-binding-in-chickens.html
and another

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom