3rd SICK HEN!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PhlyinPheBee, Jun 17, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I have another hen showing signs of being sick with a runny eye. At least I have caught the last 2 early and they are still eating and drinking. My RIR, the 1st one, is not. I took 4 to the vet for cultures to be sent to the ag vet in my region. 2 sick and 2 not. I am still not sure on what they will be looking for but I hope for a answer. It is only 3. I did add a new hen last week........No I did not keep it apart. It was one of only 6 on the place. I found out today that even if you keep them apart for the right time that if a bird is a carrier it would not matter.

This is just a big crummy day!!!!!!!

2. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    They will be testing for a specific organism causing the disease. This will tell you whether or not it's treatable by antibiotics. (Viruses aren't.) This will also give you a good idea whether or not to consider culling if you're of a mind to.

Sounds like a crummy day, indeed though. Let us know how it goes, please? You've done the wise thing by having them tested. KUDOS to your vet!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: