3some (male) pairing???

stuckinthecity

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 25, 2009
I really didn't know what to call this or how to put it in the title appropriately... But yeah. I have 2 siblings, which both *appear to be male that have paired up. And now they have accepted another male into their bromance. The 3 amigos. I know the largest blue bird is a male. I'm fairly certain his smaller sibling is a male, too. And I know that the red and white fantail is a male from the way the other males act towards him. Pictures attach show all three on "their" perching space. They don't allow anyone else up there. Thoughts????
Obviously I need more hens, but around here people will sell you a proven "mated pair" and you wait months and months and never get eggs. I haven't found a reputable breeder yet.

Attachments

• 3somepair.jpg
    3somepair.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 31
  • 3somepair2.jpg
    3somepair2.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 25
I had a pair that one I was certain was a cock, and the other looked quite a bit like a cock as well, and they both acted like cocks cooing (doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, wok wok wok) and puffing their necks.... I swore they were both cocks.... until one laid eggs and they hatched squabs.

Misread, huh? I've don a ton of observing in my flock, so I think misread is probably the wrong word to use there, bubba.
Anyway, regardless if there is a hen in the trio or not, which I doubt, I do have 3 birds mated together, which is unique. I have other birds that are the same age that HAVE paired up with the opposite sex and now are sitting eggs. So one would think that if there was a hen, there would already be a clutch laid.
The 3 birds in the photos all take turns mounting eachother. Sometimes the largest male is engaging the "active" role, sometimes it's the smallest red and white male. I understand that hens can act like males, but like I stated above there are birds the same age as these that already have proven their sex by giving me eggs. They also all feed eachother which from everything I've seen doesn't happen unless there is a strong bond present.

LamarshFish, That is a great post. How many time have we seen nature in action and we have totally misread what was going on. Nature is amazing!

And go figure this one, two of my birds that I am pretty sure are hens appear to now be a pair. We have very unseasonably warm weather here today, 50 degrees (F), and I saw my birds doing a lot of nesting behavior this morning.

If they are young birds they are probably just experimenting and learning.

I suspect you will find that a pair will form from the 3 in time, and the odd one out will be pushed out.

Just leave them to it and see what develops. Your other birds will have young and then you can pair them up to these 'guys' if things are not working out.

Its very difficult to tell the gender of some pigeons. I have had females act like males, bowing and strutting, fanning their tails and mounting other birds... and being very aggressive and dominant. Also had males be very quiet andplacid and too timid to even find a mate. These birds always surprise us!

One memorable time I had a female with 3 male mates at the same time.

She would visit each males nest box, flirt and mate. Lay eggs in each 3 boxes in turn and produced 6 young that the males had to take care of without her help at all, while she retired to a life of leisure perched on the top perch watching her boyfriends frantically trying to take care of the hungry demanding young alone!

while she retired to a life of leisure perched on the top perch watching her boyfriends frantically trying to take care of the hungry demanding young alone!
FIRST I do not doubt you for a moment.

I have had some odd things happen in my loft. I have yet to experience that one.
At least now if and when it happens I will not be TOTALLY surprised.
Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom