3week old pekin ducks

samandmike

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
we have two 3 week and 3 two week old at what age do thay have to be to feed regular chicken feed and do you have to give them grit like a chicken can thay eventualy even eat full grone chicken food i know i cant feed ckick starter grower becaus its med im asking about layer feed frem the coop thanks for any help new to ducks and farm life but glad to be out of the city woho

I feed mine game bird feed, not medicated. Also anything green from kitchen scraps. And worms, of course. They love 'em! If they roam in the yard I've heard they don't need grit.

If you are referring to layer pellets, mash, whatever, it is normally recommended to start them on it once they first lay an egg, usually between 18-24 weeks depending on the breed. And yes they do need grit, they are birds after all. If you are feeding them nothing but processed feeds (mash, pellets, crumbles) then grit is not necessary. Anything else and they would need grit.

I give my ducklings chick starter until they're 2 weeks old, chick grower until around 6 weeks old, and waterfowl pellets after that. I offer free choice oyster shell for calcium for the laying ducks.

I don't give my ducklings grit, because they only eat processed food until they go outside. Once they go out to their 1/4 acre grassed lot, they have plenty of natural grit.

You start out with chick starter until 10 weeks or age then go to chick finisher and then at 16 weeks you can go with layer pellets but they are not go to feed to the drakes so I feed multi-flock for my ducks...Hope it helps...

PS I have grit mixed in the feed and a dish of oyster shells for the girls the boys dont touch it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom