3wk old chick ate earring-HELP!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by luvleelinda, Oct 16, 2008.

1. luvleelinda

luvleelinda New Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    This is a pet chicken. She ate my pearl stud earring yesterday, and I am worried about her. She plucked it right out of my ear! It is over 1/2 inch long! Is there anything I can do to get her to pass it?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    This is probably a better question for the "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" forum.

If you go to the search page and type in "earring" for the Emergencies forum - you will find posts on this sort of thing - must be fairly common.

Chickens eat the darnedest things, often with no real ill effects. It is sometimes necessary to go into the crop to get things out. I've seen "backyard surgery" before and it is surprising what a chicken can go thru and recover from. I think there are some photo's on the Emergencies forum (not for the squeamish, I bet).

Here’s wishing you the Best of Luck.

Steve

3. luvleelinda

luvleelinda New Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    I am so thankful for your reply, Steve.
    I found the info very helpful.
    My little chick is not showing any signs of discomfort this evening, so I am very encouraged that she will manage just fine.
    Thanks to everyone posting comments on swallowed jewelry!
    Take care!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Unless they're free-ranging, at least there's a decent chance you'll get the earring back if you keep an eye on the brooder.

Though who knows what a chicken's intestinal tract does to pearls!?!?

5. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    My dog ate a straight pin when he was a pup. Needless to say, everything came out fine and the vet kept the ex-rays to show to grade school kids when they tour the hospital. [​IMG]

Bet your chicken will be just fine.

Michele.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by