3wk old Pullet Puffed Up & Acting Funny

mrszlopez

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Jackson,NJ
One of our 3wk old pullets has been acting funny since we brought them home. She is puffing up & sleeping standing up. Still eating & drinking but acting odd. None of the others are acting this way & im wondering what it could be before its too late. She stays mostly to herself except when i open the cage door. she comes running and sits with me in my lap.

I did notice though, that she mustve been getting pecked by the others because she has a dark scab on her earlobe. None of the chicks weve got are doing it, so im assuming it was happening at the feed store.

This sounds similar to what my 5 week old is doing. She goes off by herself. She stays puffed up with her head pulled back and down. She looks like she is cold, but it is anything but cold here. It was about 78 or 80 degrees and she looked like this.

She came up to me and stood on my foot, which is unusual for her because she usually does not want to be handled. It was like she was asking for help. Is that possible? How much do chickens understand?
hu.gif

She is eating and drinking, but somewhat lethargic. Getting to her food she has to hop over the side of the bathtub. She sort of stumbles around while doing this like she loses balance when landing, or perhaps she is weak.

that sounds just like mine for sure. she lets me pet her, sits with me and perches on my leg. she didnt eat at all yesterday until i set her aside with the bowl of food. if you find out what it might be let me know ! i thought she was cold too so i put a heat lamp in just to be safe.

Mine is hanging out with another Australorp and one of the aracaunas, but she is very puffed up and looks terrible. She does not compete for food. The other girls get over her and she just sort of sinks down and does not try to get food. If I make it easy for her, she will peck at the food. I am considering isolating her and see what happens. I will have to take her to another room. Will she suffer from being apart from her sisters?

Back
Top Bottom