3yr old Barred Rock hen acting weird

sbonney

Hatching
Oct 2, 2015
I have a 3yr old Barred Rock hen that has been acting weird for about a week. She just sits down and rests for hours at a time. This is not her normal behavior. She is still laying eggs and I noticed this am she laid her egg on the floor of the coop when she normally lays them in her box. I've also noticed her bowel movements are really watery and she has almost no more feathers on her back side. The feather thing though, has been all summer. But I've also noticed that her skin on her backside is red. Do all these symptoms point at end of life or is something going on that can be fixed? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Do you have a rooster, that would be the reason for no feathers on her back as well as the redness, she should grow them back when she molts, her not feeling well could be many things, hopefully someone more familiar with those symptoms will help.

We did have a rooster but had to get rid of him about a year ago. The feathers that are missing are around her butt area.

Feathers missing around the back side can be from another hen feather picking her. She could have cocidiosis, or some other infection, I might try treating her with something, not sure what to recommend, I was hoping someone else could recommend something for you, let's hope someone else does.

Back
Top Bottom