4 1/2 ~ 5 week old chicks - pullet or cockerel?

11squawkers

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
El Dorado County CA
Hello BYC members! First off, LOVE this site! So much helpful information! And after looking through hundreds of other peoples pictures and posts on here for the last few weeks I figured I'd post some of my own and get your input as to what gender you think my 4 chicks are. This is my first time raising poultry and my flock consists of 7 Guineas, 2 Jersey Giants, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Barnevelder. Got them from a feed store 4 1/2 weeks ago and am assuming they were just a day or so old? Too anxious to wait! Any help appreciated!!

Jersey 1

Jersey 1

Jersey 2

Jersey 2

My Barnevelder

And my Barred Rock.

I think the barred rock is a cockerel... The others look like girls for the most part. But do not hold me to it! Not the best at gender...

Last edited:
Of course hoping for the chickens to be females but will be ok with 1 roo, nice to hear so far what you think emma p, thanks! Cause even though I have been looking at hundreds of pictures and reading so much info I am still stumped. Darn, was hoping my sweetheart Barred Rock was female, that's my favorite one!

Last edited:
Hello BYC members! First off, LOVE this site! So much helpful information! And after looking through hundreds of other peoples pictures and posts on here for the last few weeks I figured I'd post some of my own and get your input as to what gender you think my 4 chicks are. This is my first time raising poultry and my flock consists of 7 Guineas, 2 Jersey Giants, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Barnevelder. Got them from a feed store 4 1/2 weeks ago and am assuming they were just a day or so old? Too anxious to wait! Any help appreciated!!

Jersey 1

Jersey 1

Jersey 2

Jersey 2

My Barnevelder

And my Barred Rock.

Jersey #2 could possibly be a cockerel. JG are slow to mature. Post picks in a couple of weeks. I raise JG.

I think they look like pullets except the last one. The comb is rather long and more pronounced than the others; it also has more color. Good luck!

They are 9 weeks old now so figured I'd post some current pictures. I put them in the same order as the first post above:

Jersey 1

Jersey 2

My Barnevelder

And my Barred Rock.

So what do you think now at 9 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom