1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 1/2 mo old RP genders?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ksane, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Anyone have any ideas if these guys are all males? Or if there's a female in the group? The one swith the question mark is the one I'm not sure about. I *think* the other 2 are boys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldmossinger

oldmossinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Holland, VT
    I'm not an expert, but the question mark looks like a girl to me. Small snood and high neck feathers. just my opinion.

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Hard to tell from these photos. I think the male? on the right is a hen. By that age, the males should be substantially larger than the females. Also, the makes breast feathers should be showing some black trim while the females are all white. Compare the breast feathers on the left male (with the black edges) to the breast feathers of the right male? (no black edges). Females tend to be lighter colored overallbut your tom doesn't have much color, so maybe the line that you got your birds from just isn't very dark.

4. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I hope you're right on the sexes, that's what another turkey lady thought also. The male? On the right *is considerably bigger and has thick huge legs that the others don't have. He's the one that struts and gobbles. What confuses me is how red their heads and necks get. Mainly the 2 that I think are males.
    Thanks, everyone.

5. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Laggerdogger, I checked their chests and like you said and now I'm really hopeful I've got 2 girls amd a boy. The one in the pic with all 3 who's on the right is who gobbles so he's male. He's the one who's bigger and has all kinds of black lacing on his chest. The other 2 have pure white chests, not a single black spot. I'm so glad you mentioned that (I remembered reading it somewhere else after you said it).
    These guys are pets and grew up together, I hated the thought of seperating them. But 2 boys to 1 hen or even 1 boy to 1 girl isn't a very good life for a girl. So now I'm hopeful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by