4 1/2 month old pullets!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Copper'sCoopFarm05, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Copper'sCoopFarm05

Copper'sCoopFarm05 New Egg

Nov 3, 2011
    Ok we have a mixed flock of 30 pullets and 2 Roos. They are a little over 4 1/2 months old and are not laying yet. They have plenty of room inside and out and plenty of laying boxes. I don't know why they aren't laying. Anyone have any suggestions on why they may not be laying?

2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    They are just a little too young yet. I had one who started laying at 18 weeks, but the rest were a few weeks later. Are thier combs and wattles turning red? Do they squat for you?

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]

Give it some more time! 4 1/2 months is still early for most breeds to start laying. I have 9 pullets/hens ranging in age from 25 weeks to 33 weeks and only 3 of them have started laying. It's hard to wait for those first eggs, isn't it?!

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It will be a little longer before you get an egg.

5. Copper'sCoopFarm05

Nov 3, 2011
    I actually figured wrong they are 5 1/2 months old. Is that still early? We had chickens b4 and they started laying about 20 weeks. Just getting ancy I guess. Hoping they start laying b4 it gets too cold!

6. Copper'sCoopFarm05

Nov 3, 2011
    And yes their combs and wattles are red, but silly question what's squating?

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's when they are accepting mates. They get low to the ground, and flatten themselves as if ready to mate.

ETA: What breeds are they? I have lots that are older than yours and still not laying. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. Copper'sCoopFarm05

Nov 3, 2011
    I am not sure. I know I have seen both Roos attempt to mate. A few have allowed and a few haven't if that's any help. Lol still new to all of this!

9. Copper'sCoopFarm05

Nov 3, 2011
    Breeds are: buff orps, gold and silver laced wyndottes, barred rocks, light brahmas, new hampshires, black giants, white rocks, and aracaunas. We like the variety where are little ones can name them. hehe

10. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    It doesn't sound like you will have to wait too much longer!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by