4-1/2 month-old puppy with very watery diarrhea...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wordgirl, Sep 17, 2010.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    For about twenty-four hours now, my puppy, Boaz, has had really watery diarrhea. He'ss four and a half months old, has had all of his shots, and otherwise has been acting quite normal. No vomitig, appetite fine, bark-ability fine [​IMG], energy pretty normal - maybe a bit less than normal. He still wants to chase balls. Mostly it's just the diarrhea. I know there can be a problem with puppies getting dehydrated, so we'll be trying to keep him hydrated. He LOVES drinking, so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. We're on a pretty tight budget, so if possible I don't want to have to take him to the vet if it's not totally necessary. Is there any advice you dog-lovers can give me, as to what might be causing it (it could be something he ate - he eats EVERYTHING he can get (which we try to keep to a minimum [​IMG]) ) or how to help firm up his poos?

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok this is the first thing to do - do not feed anything for at least 12 - 24 hours, just water. Second, get some pepto bismol tablets and administer as you normally do dog pills - stick em down their throat just far enough they will swallow for a 20 lb I would use 1 pill . OR use a pepto bismol liquid by syringe - it is messier though. For very watery diarrhea I might not feed anything for a total of 24 hours from the last time he ate. Good luck been there many times.

3. True Grit

I forgot to mention to give him another pill in 6 hours or in the morning, just kind of space them out over the 24 hours and then start him back on really mild food like white rice a couple of times and then mix in some chicken or boiled hamburger and then mix in his food with it and then his straight dog food. Don't start him back on food if he still has diarrhea though but I've never had a dog have that bad diarrhea for more than a day or so.

4. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    He's alright, then? Oh, thank you, very much for your help. I'll have to ask my Mom if we have any Pepto Bismol.

5. True Grit

Yes I would think he will be fine- the main thing is to let his tummy rest - but if his attitude changes and he gets depressed and quiet then it is definitely vet time - he may have swallowed something he can't pass on his own.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If the diaharea smells REALLY bad, don't hesitate to get the pup to the vet. Puppy parvo is running rampant in Arkansas.

7. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Uh...don't have Pepto-Bismol. Will it hurt him if he doesn't use it, or is it just a way to clear it up faster?

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My concern would be Parvo as well. Has your puppy had the follow up to his initial Parvo shot?

9. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    He's had three rounds of the parvo combo shot. He had the last one on the 1st (almost two and a half weeks ago).

10. True Grit

Pepto isn't mandatory but it helps - it is the not feeding and then gradual return to mild food that will do it. I'm sure if you call your vet they can tell you over the phone what to do as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by