4 1/2 week old Barred Rock/Australorp Chick, Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KristenRae, Jul 24, 2011.

1. KristenRae

KristenRae Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Here are photos of "Dime", a Barred Plymouth Rock and Australorp cross. She feathered out before the other two White Rocks she hatched with (hatched on 6/19/11), and I was pretty confident she was indeed a she until I noticed her comb start to change color... Dime is one of my first chicks. What do the chicken experts think? Is Dime a she? Or is it too early to tell?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Your guess is as good as mine [​IMG]

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I think it is a rooster because of the comb and big thick legs

4. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I would say it is not a barred rocks- or if it is it is a mix. The feathers look similar, but not quite right for a pure BRs. I would watch it for a roo- the comb is quite large for a 4 week old (pullet)....

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you know which parent was which? If the barred rock was the momma, you have a sex-link and it would be a boy. If the barred rock was the daddy, there's no telling. I do think the color looks like a pullet, being that dark, but then again that's a fair amount of comb so young and the legs are pretty thick.

6. KristenRae

KristenRae Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I am not for certain, but I think the father was a barred rock and mother was an australorp. Until the comb started changing this last week, I was convinced I had a pullet, but it sounds like you agree that she is looking more like a he:-(

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have raised both BR and Australorp...if it were one or the other I could tell you most certainly, but a mix...tricky!

Pretty good sized comb though...I am going roo....but won't bet a penny on it!

Sorry

[​IMG]

8. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hey Lady,

I was looking through posts and I saw this one and recognized that chick. LOL! I am really leaning towards male. You should hop over to the Wisconsin thread and join in there's a lot of neat people on there and a few from the GB area as well. [​IMG]

9. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    [​IMG] young but since it is alittle pink I would say boy!

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am going to say girl on this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by