4/15 chickens are sick, eyes and mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adarbutt, Dec 22, 2013.

1. adarbutt

adarbutt New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    About a month ago, I went out to do my daily rounds with the chickens and discovered that 3 of them had one eye closed. Upon further inspection, white puss was coming out of the eyes, swollen shut and scabs on their eyes. Immediately I separated them and consulted this board. We still don't know what is/was wrong with them, but they seem to be improving. One chicken is now blind or at least appears to be blind, in that it's eye is completely white. I do not have pictures of them, but I can get them if that would help you all tell me what the problem could possibly be.

3 days ago, our banty roo got a huge black bump on the side of his mouth. Of course the hens pecked it and it was/is bleeding. These are the pictures we got today of his mouth. What is this? No vets in our area, at least not that we have been able to find. I'm going to try and call the extension office in our county on Monday, but with it being so close to the holidays I'm not sure I'll get any helpful information.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That could be wet pox, a bacterial infection or canker.

Here is one of mine that looked like that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You need to remove the pus and apply iodine to the lesions.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Oh, in my hen it was wet pox and she made a complete recovery.

-Kathy

4. adarbutt

adarbutt New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Can you explain how you go about that? My banty's head is about the size of a silver dollar

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You'll need tweezers, flashlight, q-tips and reading glasses might be helpful, maybe a second pair of hands, too. Restrain bird maybe by wrapping in towel? Open beak and tweeze or q-tip out as much pus as possible.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by