4-5-12, set some more eggs today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kanga77510, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    We set 11 eggs on Monday, hoping to split the eggs between two broody hens. Dusty took all the eggs and Chip was feeling left out. I just got 12 more eggs for Chip and put them under her today. We should know by the end of the month if it worked. The girls are doing wonderfully. [​IMG] I hope it works!

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    If they can get at each other's nest, be careful one doesn't try to steal ALL the eggs. I had that happen last year and when I tried to get them to share, the greedy one trashtalked the other away from the nest! Would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
    I am going out now ( after dark) to move a broody into isolation and give her a nest of eggs. She has been biting us viciously for a week when we collect eggs. Our other broody hatched 8 out of 12 today and left the nesting area so it's available! The new chicks are blue/olive eggers and we are putting a dozen of our darkest marans ( about 4's to 6's)under the new one. Wish they were darker, but we gotta go with what we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by