4-5 day old vent/pasty butt problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheMKs, Mar 14, 2011.

1. TheMKs

TheMKs Hatching

Mar 14, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Hello,

I read another forum posting about pasty butt and correcting it and I suspect that's what's going on with our silkie. I have been trying to remove the poop with a warm washcloth/baby wipe as suggested by someone else (with no luck), along with giving probiotics and feeding hardboiled egg. She IS pooping, and eating but is the smallest of the 3 silkies. We ordered her through the local feed store, along with 2 other silkies and 5 standard chicks, various breeds. Some of the others have a slightly pasty butt, but nothing like hers.

Tonight I noticed that her vent is larger than the others - I can't see anything at all on most of the birds (even the bigger ones) but hers is highly visible.

Should I be worried? Is this a condition where separating her from the others would be beneficial to her? Right now, all are sleeping but her - possibly because she has a wet bum, even though I tried to dry it - so it seems she's uncomfortable. She peeps more than the others, and spends more time pecking at the others' feathers than eating or drinking. She seems to be at the bottom of the peck order.

Obviously, this is my first time raising chicks, and I have a lot of uncertainty about a lot of it. Any assurance/recommendations you can provide are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Keri

2. newchicks5

newchicks5 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    just keep reading old posts ,i wish i could give you answer, spelling

3. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Songster

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Hi Keri,

As you may notice, I've been dealing with this, too! I found that the wiping technique didn't work as well as the "sitz bath" method I read about here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=164182

(Chickens4me, on the third post down in that link, details this method)

My same 2 chicks had pasty butt every day until I tried it last night and everyone is totally fluffy today!

(I'm also starting them on a little plain yogurt, as recommended by classicsredone when I asked about pasty butt last night:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=465221 )

Some great suggestions. Hope they help you, too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: