4.5 month old Silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BuckNBark Farm, Oct 9, 2012.

1. BuckNBark Farm

BuckNBark Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Hi- I think I posted this a few minutes ago, but don't see it. Sorry for double post if I did. I thought this was a male. He had streamers for a little while (maybe just part of growing out the head feathers. My little 4 month old cockerel was always trying to get him to spar. I'm hoping what I'm seeing is rounding off head feathers. I really need females! So far, only 2 of my 8 are females! (I hope they are, anyway-the females) No one is crowing yet, except a Showgirl. Thanks! Pam
    [​IMG]

2. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Didn't give the reason of my post, lol. Do you think cockerel or pullet?

3. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    I don't think my post are coming up the first time I sent them. Sorry for sending more than one, and driving you guys crazy. The first pic that I sent was the wrong bird. It's the darker one that's in these pics. Showing the darker one by his/her self, and then one next to another blue that I think is a pullet. It's the dark one in question. Thanks! Sorry for being a pest!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    look like pullets to me

5. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for saying what I wanted to hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Pam

6. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    both look like pullets to me as well. Do you see any pronounced development of comb/wattles? I can see none in the pics so you might be lucky and have 2 girls there.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they look like pullets

8. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    I see a very faint bump across the top of the dark one's beak. Pam

9. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Sometimes female silkies will have small/faint bumps. I have a few that have larger combs than some of my others. But compared to the males their combs are nothing. Plus both pics the birds have what look to be pom pom crests and not a slicked back crest. Generally a pom pom is an indication of a female and a slicked back is usually a male. However I used to have a really nice male that had a nice pom pom crest. I knew it was a male though as he did crow.

10. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Thanks so much. Pretty chicken on your avatar!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by