4.5 week old Barred Rock... Roo or Pullet?

PDDSinger

Hatching
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This is an almost 5 week old Barred Rock. I am concerned "She" is a "He". She has started getting her wattle sooner than the other chicks and has a more pronounced comb. HOWEVER, her coloring suggests she is a pullet. Anyone have a more educated idea as to whether this is a Roo or Pullet? Any help wold be appreciated. Thanks!

_MG_7803.jpg
Here is my boy @ 5 weeks - note how much bigger his comb is than yours - and how much lighter in colouring he is.
_MG_8039.jpg
My girls - dark like yours. One has quite the colour on the comb. I think yours is a girl. Where did you get her from?

Sorry for the delay, but here are pictures of my he/she (Hochi), supposedly a Barred Rock, at almost 6 months old. I guess it turns out it's a SHE after all, phew! Now if she would only start laying...

This is an almost 5 week old Barred Rock. I am concerned "She" is a "He". She has started getting her wattle sooner than the other chicks and has a more pronounced comb. HOWEVER, her coloring suggests she is a pullet. Anyone have a more educated idea as to whether this is a Roo or Pullet? Any help wold be appreciated. Thanks!
I really, really hope that s/he is a pullet! This looks exactly like our Pheazy who is six weeks old, and I don't think Pheazy's comb is quite as pronounced. But we have been so on-edge about it because we are really attached to her/him lol.

I really, really hope that s/he is a pullet! This looks exactly like our Pheazy who is six weeks old, and I don't think Pheazy's comb is quite as pronounced. But we have been so on-edge about it because we are really attached to her/him lol.
At six weeks - if the comb is less pronounced than this one - definite pullet!
_MG_8539.jpg
Look at what one week will do in comb development - this guy is 6.5 weeks old here.
_MG_7803.jpg
Again @ 5.5 weeks
_MG_7187.jpg
4.5 weeks

At six weeks - if the comb is less pronounced than this one - definite pullet!
_MG_8539.jpg

Look at what one week will do in comb development - this guy is 6.5 weeks old here.
_MG_7803.jpg

Again @ 5.5 weeks
_MG_7187.jpg

4.5 weeks
Ok, this just made my day!! Thanks.
bow.gif

Thank you all for your knowledgeable opinions! Since we live in Phoenix, I was hoping "She" was going to stay a "She"! To answer the question "where did you get her from", she is a replacement , purchased from a local feed store, Western Ranchmen, for a chick we lost to a scorpion. Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom