4.5 week old chick having a hard time standing? now what?

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Yesterday was one of the first warm days this spring (live in WI), so I took a few of the chicks outside in an area that didn't have snow. Now, I don't know for sure if this is one of those chicks or not. I have 5 welsummers so this is one of them. She started acting funny this morning, not walking well, not opening her foot to walk on it. So she just kind of sits there or now that she's isolated from the other 26 chicks she did try to fly out of the box several times, until I covered it. There are no signs of difficulty breathing, no running discharge from eyes or nose. Her stool is normal looking, no red.

We don't have a vet in the area that will look at chickens or chicken anything. I lost most of my starter flock last year, I thought to cocci, around 4-6 months. But as I said no vet would test any stool samples for me. How fast does cocci hit? And besides that we live in sand country, so I don't get how we could have cocci over growth right now in the soil, if thats what it is. I've been freakishly annal about cleaning the brooder boxes and keeping water clean. I just don't get it. All chicks were vaccinated for mareks and cocci.

Any other thoughts?

No one has any thoughts? It seems like her feet won't open and hold her up she walks on her leg (or technically her ankle/metatarsus). Other than that she seems fine, eating and drinking.

No one has any thoughts? It seems like her feet won't open and hold her up she walks on her leg (or technically her ankle/metatarsus). Other than that she seems fine, eating and drinking.

I think you should take this over to the emergency thread because they see a lot of things over there. Someone there may know what it is, even if your birds life doesn't seem in jeopardy right now. That thread may be a good mystery solver.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
Start a new topic and titles it something like "mysterious foot aliment/ injury".
Best Success with your baby!
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom