4.5 week old chick not standing on feet, only on her legs? Pics up....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ElCerritoPlace, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    I posted this on the chicks forum but was advised to post here.

Two days ago was one of the first warm days this spring (live in WI), so I took a few of the chicks outside in an area that didn't have snow. Now, I don't know for sure if this is one of those chicks or not. I have 5 welsummers so this is one of them. She started acting funny this morning, not walking well, not opening her foot to walk on it. So she just kind of sits there or now that she's isolated from the other 26 chicks she did try to fly out of the box several times, until I covered it. There are no signs of difficulty breathing, no running discharge from eyes or nose. Her stool is normal looking, no red. It seems like her feet won't open and hold her up she walks on her leg (or technically her ankle/metatarsus). Other than that she seems fine, eating and drinking.

Background info (maybe too much info and not related); We don't have a vet in the area that will look at chickens or chicken anything. I lost most of my starter flock last year, I thought to cocci, around 4-6 months. But as I said no vet would test any stool samples for me. How fast does cocci hit? And besides that we live in sand country, so I don't get how we could have cocci over growth right now in the soil, if thats what it is. PLUS its been super cold here. I've been freakishly annal about cleaning the brooder boxes and keeping water clean. I just don't get it. All chicks were vaccinated for mareks and cocci as well.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    Any one have any ideas? I separated her and have given her electrolytes and probiotics, but I don't know what else to do. She preens, eats drinks, flies (or attempts to bu can't land well). I'm debating on putting her out of her misery although she doesn't seem that bad, just not walking on her feet. They are curled up in balls as she hobbles around on her legs/ ankle.

3. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If she is eating, drinking and acting normal other than the feet don't put her down. Can you post a picture so that we can see the issue?

4. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    Heres some pics of her sitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida

6. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013

Pics up...don't know if that helps. When I look in the box she stretches out her neck to look at me. She no longer tries to fly out, buy I'm not sure if that's just her getting use to her location and the noise level in the house, 2 boys and a dog. She still sits and preens, tries to scratch her head, though not very well.

7. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    I tried yogurt since I read vitamin G deficiency causes this symptom.
    Can I use the infant vitamin supplement or where else do I find these?

8. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    My other concern is could it be Marek's even though she was vaccinated? Is it common for that to show up? Because my 4 hens that I have are not vaccinated, so when I move these guys to the coop am I risking the adult birds that I have?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Riboflavin deficiency or vitamin B2 (vitamin G is an old name for B2) can cause curled toe paralysis. Thee longer the chick has this, it may be irreversible due to nerve damage. Vitamin D3 deficiency can cause walking on the hocks. I would use a poultry vitamin such as Avian Super Pack 1/4 tsp per gallon water, or one from your feed store. Here is a link about vitamin deficiencies: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
    http://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack/p/AB-P1/

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  10. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013

How long is too long? If I have to order avian super pack and she's been like this since Tuesday... Will it even work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by