4-5 week old Gold Laced Wyandotte - I'm thinking pullet? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by archmichelle, May 27, 2008.

1. archmichelle

archmichelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Okay, here is my 4 or 5 week old Gold Laced Wyandotte, Greta. I am guessing (hoping) pullet. There is no obvious comb development, and she is nearly feathered out. What does everyone else think?[​IMG] Feel free to weigh in on the RIR in the last photo too. She's about 2-1/2 weeks old. I hesitate to make a guess yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'd say a hen.

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I'd say Greta IS a girl [​IMG] As far as the younger one...it's still really early, but that is an obvously developed comb IMO. I'd lean towards male...

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've found that at 5-6 weeks you can pet the chicks, running your hand from their head to their tail, and the ones that do the "egg squat" are pullets... the roos will just try to get away and squawk and complain about be petted. [​IMG]

Greta is very pretty, and pretty sure a pullet. Not sure about the RIR though... still young.

5. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    That is a PRETTY bird! Girl to me, the newb [​IMG]

6. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I think hen too. My GLW had a comb that was def. roo at 4 weeks.

Here he is at three + weeks. Named him Rudolph because of that comb. LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I say you have a hen [​IMG]

8. archmichelle

archmichelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:That's definitely a developed comb on little Rudolph, but he is very cute:D Thanks everybody for taking a looksy. It's funny someone mentioned the egg squat - I think Greta is already doing that and I didn't even know it. She likes to roost on my arms and shoulders, and as soon as I start petting her back she drops down real low. She loves to sit on the edge of the brooder and hang out with me whenever I'm in the room! I'm hoping she leads the way in helping to tame my other birds. My two 14 weekers will only come near me for food and they will not voluntarily let me touch them. My two 2-1/2 weekers also like to roost on my arm, but get a bit nervous when I try to stroke their backs or chests.

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    My guess is a hen as well.. Shes gonna be gorgeous!

10. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    She is already GORGEOUS! I can't wait for mine to arrive -- I hope they'll be as pretty as Greta.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by