4/5 Week old polish head is now limp/crooked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OlePainless, Mar 12, 2018.

1. OlePainless

OlePainless In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2018
    Newnan, Ga
    I have a polish in my brooder who was doing just fine. Went out today to check on them and chain their water and her neck looks like its broke. I picked her up and took her to the waterer and she drank and staighten out her head and neck to do so, but when i put her down she looks up from the side as though she cannot lift or turn her head.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. OlePainless

Mar 5, 2018
    Newnan, Ga
    Now she is just chirping and turning in circles, with her head turned sideways and looking up.

Attached Files:

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I can't swear that this is what is going on with your Polish, but I had a lot of trouble with young Polish when I had them. Polish have vaulted skulls, and that leaves them prone to brain injuries. If another bird pecks them on the top of the head, it can cause neurological symptoms like you are seeing. Some of mine recovered, some didn't. Hopefully someone who has helpful advice will respond.

4. OlePainless

Mar 5, 2018
    Newnan, Ga
    Yeah, i remember last year i had one that was about 3 months old just out of the blue started falling over and acting weird. It eventually died but im seeing some of the same neurological problems.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is called wry neck (torticolis, encephalomacia, crook neck.) It is a neurological symptom that is seen in vitamin deficiencies (vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, selenium,) in head injuries, in certain diseases as a result of brain inflammation, and is hereditary in some chickens. Chopped liver, egg an tuna are good in small amount, or give chick vitamins plus a little egg for selenium. Help her eat and drink often until she is getting enough. Good luck.

ButtonquailGirl14 and sourland like this.
  6. OlePainless

Mar 5, 2018
    Newnan, Ga
    I'm hoping they are good on vitamins - I add them to their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: