4.5 Week Old Sapphire (Super Blue Egg Layer) Cockerel or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by backyardchicks, Feb 28, 2016.

1. backyardchicks

backyardchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    San Jose, Ca
    This is a 4 1/2 week old Sapphire or Super Blue Egg Layer (if it's a pullet). Father is a Cream Legbar and Mother is a White Leghorn. Is this a cockerel or pullet?

Also, if it is a cockerel and it is bred with a dark egg layer will the result be an olive egger? [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Too young to be absolutely certain, but that's a cockscomb if I ever saw one.

Yes, if he's crossed with a chocolate layer like a Marans, the pullet offspring will be olive-Eggers.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Cockerel

4. backyardchicks

backyardchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    San Jose, Ca
    I wasn't sure if the white leghorn in it causes the comb to develop sooner, even in pullets? I cannot have a rooster where I live, but I don't want to rehome it too soon just in case it is a pullet. I have never had a Sapphire pullet before and would love to see what the super blue eggs look like!

5. QueenMisha

Even a purebred White Leghorn pullet isn't going to have a comb like this at such a young age. I'd recommend starting the search for his new home now. It can take a while to rehome cockerels, and Leghorns and crosses thereof are likely to start crowing quite early.

I can't speak to exact nature of the eggs that would be expected, largely because I've never heard of a "Super Sapphire Layer" until now, although I'm not sure why such a cross would be thought to lay any bluer of an egg than their purebred Legbar parent or any pure Ameraucana.

6. TillyPeeps

TillyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2015
    Central PA
    I think his offspring will be half brown egg layers and half olive-eggers, because he only has half of the two copies of blue egg genes.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Cockerel

9. QueenMisha

Actually, you know what, this is correct. Forget my earlier statement. 50% of his offspring will be Olive Eggers, the other 50% will be brown layers, probably a lighter shade than their dark egging parent.

10. TillyPeeps

TillyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2015
    Central PA

No, their eggs are lighter blue than their pure breed parents. They are "super" layers comparing to their blue - egg -layer parents because of the leghorn gene. I have a two week old ameraucana x california grey pullet, which basically is the same other than she is a sexlink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by