4.5 Week Old White Leghorn - Pullet or Rooster?

aank4

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
This is our first set of chicks, supposedly all pullets. I'm highly suspicious of our white leghorn, though. "She" has a bigger comb than the rest, in particular, and she's been growing the fastest. I wonder if it's just because white leghorns are bred to grow quickly and produce right away? It's possible that my other girls' breeds have smaller combs at this age (4.5 weeks), too - not sure.

Anyway, here are pics, your opinions are much appreciated!
23483_img_0150.jpg

23483_img_0148.jpg

23483_img_0146.jpg

I know the leghorn hens have much larger combs than other breeds.. I would watch the wattles as an indication too because they start developing early on roos.

edited to say that if I was a betting person I would say it is a ROO...

Last edited:
i am actually thinking cockerel. there is some pink to the comb and spur bumps.

my white leghorn pullets are 9 weeks old and their combs are much smaller than this.

no matter what, it's a cute chicken!
smile.png

im gonna say boy on this one...he/she looks just like my old sunny.........

I found this picture of a four week old white leghorn cockerel from another thread on the topic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23943822@N08/2564765860/in/set-72157605397346559/
Is that level of redness typical for a cockerel?
If ours is indeed a roo, that's a major bummer for us, as our town only allows four hens, and we'll have to relocate or butcher him and probably would have a tough time finding another hen to add to the flock. I also really, really wanted some white eggs for folk art purposes, and this is our only white-egg bird.
I tried my hand at wing-sexing when she/he was a new hatchling - and it appeared that there were the two staggered rows of primary feathers as would be typical for a girl. Then again, I'm new to this.
Of course, if we ever find a white egg, we'll know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom