4-5month old chicken sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amandabontrager, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Amandabontrager

Amandabontrager New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    I have a young chicken that looks I'll. I haven't had much experience with sick chicken until recently, I've had 2 come down with something. One passed away today as he was very thin, droppings were watery and yellow and lethargic. I put him in another coop away from the rest when I realized he was sick. The remaining chicken is not thin and droppings are not watery but very lethargic and balance is off. I can't find anything on line that describes these symptoms. What can I do?

2. Minalikesyou

Minalikesyou Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    First you should separate this hen and begin a thorough check.
    Does he/she have any swelling, discoloration, watery discharge from eyes or nose, visible wounds, ect?
    I'd start with the face looking carefully to at their crown and waddle for signs of discoloration, then eyes and nose.
    There are so many possibilities its scary, are your chickens vaccinated? Are they kept in a clean enclosure? Have you noticed any of the others showing signs of withdrawal or unease?
    Considering you say the last one grew thin I'd bring the current one inside to a dark place and provide some electrolytes and chick mash for extra nutrition.
    If its a hen look for any sign of straining or prolapsed vent as it could be egg bound, this is a serious issue that needs immediate treatment or their life will be at risk
    Here's an article to get you started on caring for your sick chicken, I'll try to help you as best as I can
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html

3. Amandabontrager

Amandabontrager New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    He is separated from other chickens. Figured it out!!! Found roundworm in his droppings when examining chicken aNd poop. Going to get wazine. Should that be effective? I am planning on treating all chickens. Do you think I should keep or toss eggs for awhile?

4. Minalikesyou

Minalikesyou Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    That's great! Generally worms don't affect the quality of the eggs so it should be safe to keep them. My only concern would be secondary infection due to their weakness that could alter the quality of the eggs. I've heard good things about wazine so I think it would be a good idea to use it. I hope for the best for you and your flock!

5. Amandabontrager

Amandabontrager New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    I thought we were in the clear but he acting sick again. Is a pale comb just a general sign of sickness or a symptom of specific illness? He's separated again and I will check droppings for roundworms again. Thin again and pale comb and floppy wings[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by