4-5wk old Curtonix quail--food?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RobPS, Jan 17, 2017.

1. RobPS

RobPS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2017
    Newb question for the experts.. I'm picking up my first quail this weekend. The breeder told me that they are fully feathered out and 4 weeks old, so they'll be closer to 5 weeks by the time I get them. They are being kept indoors at 40* temp now (garage?) so I will do the same in my garage.

I don't have any food yet but will head to Tractor Supply to buy some game bird feed. I think they only sell one kind from a previous trip to scout foods.

I realize I am not providing you with brand or content details, but generally speaking, do you think that "game bird" feed is sufficient for this age of quail? Or is there a different "chick" feed that I should try to find there?

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    In general you'll need a game bird or turkey starter, but in some brands gamebird grower might work. Aim for something with at least 24 % protein. If the feed in question is lower than that, you might be able to supplement it with soybean meal or similar - I've been doing that with my button feed lately, because I've only been able to get chicken chick feed. I intend to see how the'll do without the soy meal though. I'm not worried about the adults, but one of my hens is broody with her eggs due to hatch any day and I really want to see for myself whether or not it'll affect the chicks to be raised on regular chicken chick feed, because that is much easier to get than the gamebird starter. I think coturnix might need more protein than buttons though, it might not be wise to do the same experiment on them.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't be afraid to ask the breeder what they use and when they switch from game bird starter to game bird layer for their hens and they can tell you where they get it as well :)

1 person likes this.
  4. RobPS

RobPS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2017

Thanks. I did ask for a sample but will also ask for this info. Although...I'm only in contact with the breeder via Hoobly, and he must have been burned in the past because even though I've offered to pay immediately for a pick up this weekend, he's on a first-come/first-serve basis. So I guess I counted my quail before they were in my coop! Fingers crossed that there are still enough left by Saturday to be worthwhile.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I feed the same feed from hatch to maturity. I feed a Manna Pro game/show bird feed that is 24% protein. The feed store didn't have the feed the last two times I went so I was feeding them the food I give my chickens and ducks, Purina Flock Raiser. It is only 20% protein so I was giving them extra mealworms. Since it is winter and has been cold I wasn't worried about the high fat content of the worms but it isn't something I would want to do in those quantities for a long period of time. Though the quail didn't seem to mind eating lots of worms.

Good luck getting the chicks. Hope you get what you want.

6. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I feed mine Bryant's 28% game bird starting on day one. I do run it through a hand grinder for the first 7 days. Check some other feed stores I think you can get it a lot cheaper than TS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by