4-6wk old polish, boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zaxby's2, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Yesterday we came home with a 4-6wk old golden laced polish, and we're wondering what it is. The breeder who we bought it from said that if it turns out to be a rooster than we can trade it in for a hen, so we're good to go either way, but I'm still hoping girl. Here are some pics:
    The front:
    [​IMG]
    Full body shot:
    [​IMG]
    Another pic:
    [​IMG]
    I've been told by one person that it was a boy, so I decided to post my question here. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks like a roo to me

3. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Oh well... I'll just wait until I'm positive and then I'll probably switch him. Anyone else?

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Wow I dont know about the sex as I have 2 that are 4 weeks old and have no idea, but he/she sure is pretty. Love the gold lacing.

5. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Thanks! The birds he used to breed them are beautiful. [​IMG]

6. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    After researching a little bit more, I now think my chick is somewhere between 4-6 weeks old, so this might change things a bit.

7. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    That is a pullet! Im 90% sure its feathers and crest are coimg in very nice rounded. [​IMG]

8. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Usually at that age you will have wattles developing pretty well in the males. I dont see any, but the pictures are very small.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  9. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I think girl, too. Our girl was smaller than the boys at that age (not sure if that helps.)

10. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Yay! Thanks for all the replies. [​IMG] Can I put her in a flock with noncrested breeds? I've heard of people who do and who don't. Here's my situation. Right now my main flock consists of a RIR rooster, 2 RIR hens, a buff orpington, and a broiler. I just introduced the broiler yesterday, and there was no fighting, just a peck here and there. I figured if I put the polish in they wouldn't care too much, but then again, I've never had polish before. Right now the polish is with a doninique of the same age, and they seem to be okay together. My plan is to slowly introduce the polish and the dominique into the flock, and after a day or two introduce my broody hen with her chicks, that way the polish and the dominique won't seem like the newest birds in the flock. If everything works out all right I'll keep the polish in there with them, and trim her crest so that she won't be at a disatvantage. Everyone will be eating chick starter/grower with oyster shell in a separate bin so that the layers can get the calcium they need. I have a fairly large pen and they get to free range for a few ours a day so they'll have plenty of room. Will my plan work? The person I got her from said that they should be okay together, and that she only separates them so she can get pure chicks. I'm not interested in showing, just wanting to have a mixed flock. Will this be okay? Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by