4 Ameraucanas

cafrhe

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Western central NJ
Can I have some help sexing my Ameraucanas? I think there might be 2 boys and 2 girls. 1 blue has a much longer tail and a redder comb. 1 blue has a longer tail but not redder comb. 1 blue and 1 black have stubby tails and small combs.. All 4 are wild and crazy and act like I am a fox in the henhouse all the time....Thanks for your help!

Male?

blue female?

same as top pic-Male?

the 4 hooligans together, longest tail is last, next longest tail has red band, Male? then 2 girls?

red band--longer tail Male? Black Female?

hmmmmmm......4 pullets would be nice....But how do you explain the extra long tail? The 2 with short tails look stumpy by comparison, even when they fluff

Thanks!

I would be thrilled to have 4 girls! So the great debate is whether to integrate them with the layer flock with my Barred Rock rooster and try to make olive eggers...or get an Am roo (probably a black) and breed Ams......decisions decisions...

Thanks!

I would be thrilled to have 4 girls! So the great debate is whether to integrate them with the layer flock with my Barred Rock rooster and try to make olive eggers...or get an Am roo (probably a black) and breed Ams......decisions decisions...

Thanks!

If you cross your Ameraucanas with a Barred Rock you will get lighter green eggs, not an Olive Egger. You have to cross blue egg layers with chocolate (really dark brown) egg layers such as Marans, Welsummers, Barnevelders, Penadesencas, etc. to get Olive Eggers.

Well, any green would be good. We are going to get Maran girls. Would need another rooster then.....Would an Am roo over a Maran produce olive egger? I dont know egg color genetics at all...(and I just told my 12 yr old your answer, and she concurred....I guess she has been reading more than I have lol). She thinks the Am roo over a maran would produce olive eggers--true?

Back
Top Bottom