1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 and 4.5 month old Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crhode2clemson, Nov 21, 2016.

1. crhode2clemson

crhode2clemson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    We bought 7 chickens to start our flock. All 7 turned out to be hens. We bought two more a few month ago hoping to get one Roo. I'm worried we may have gotten two but since neither are crowing or laying yet, I was wondering if you could tell me what you think and why. Im feeling real strong about the Barred X because of those tail feathers popping out but the Aruacana cross still looks like a lot of the pics I see of hens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think you got two roosters.

The red, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing saddle feathers, and the darkening on the wing bows, with the rooster-ish tail....rooster

The barred, again pretty sure I see the start of a saddle and some proud hackles.

Don't look like 2 pullets to me.

I think they'll be waking your mornings with crows soon.

LofMc

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    and [​IMG]

4. crhode2clemson

Apr 14, 2016
    Can they co-exist or will we have to get rid of one?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  5. crhode2clemson

Apr 14, 2016
    And TY. I joined in the spring when we first got our girls and have done some reading but just haven't done any posting. Im sure that will change as I move forward :)

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    x2- Looks like two cockerels. You don't necessarily have to get rid of one, unless: 1. the two are fighting 2. the hens are being over-mated. Currently, I have 3 roosters with my 18 hens, there is one alpha, and the other two get along just fine with each other and all the other chickens. My hens only get mated by the alpha, and they get the added protection of the 3 roosters.

7. crhode2clemson

Apr 14, 2016
    Thanks. I feel better knowing that

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by