1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 babies dead in 5 days.........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dandychics, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dandychics

dandychics Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    Hello all. I am new at raising chickens and was hoping I could get some feedback. My husband and I purchased 12 Swedish Flowers Saturday afternoon. They are about 2 weeks old. The breeder threw in 2 extra because he thought that 2 of the 12 looked "weak" and was not sure if they would make it. Today is Wednesday, and I just lost my 4th one about 30 minutes ago. Is this normal? I am so heartbroken. I will admit that I think we had the box too hot; however, I do have it regulated at 90 degrees now and I have been making sure that their bottoms stay cleaned so they do not get "pasty butt". It does seem that the ones that I am losing are the smallest ones. I finally removed the weakest chic from the flock today; however, it seems I was a bit too late. I am just frustrated that I am losing so many chic's and was wondering if anyone had any tips. Thank you for any feedback you may have.

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Sometimes, they can not recover from heat exhaustion. It is just too much for their little bodies even if you have now corrected the problem. My other thought is that you could be dealing with Coccidiosis.

I would treat all remaining chicks with Corid. It won't hurt them if they don't have Coccidiosis but, it will save the rest if they do.

3. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Some vitamins and/or electrolytes wouldn't hurt either.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    X2 on the corrid. If it is cocci it will kill fast. If it's not then no real harm done.

5. dandychics

Sep 25, 2012
    We were hoping to steer clear of antibiotics and such. Is Corid a antibiotic? Obviously, I will if it is the difference of saving the rest of my chicks; however, I have never heard of it and am wondering what that is. =)

6. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Corid is Amprolium, it isn't an antibiotic, it is a vitamin B blocker that 'starves' the Coccidia.

Whether you want to use antibiotics or not, I would still put together a chicken first aid kit and include some of the widely used medications. It can mean the difference between life and death in your flock. Just MHO.

7. dandychics

Sep 25, 2012
    Thank you. You have been very helpful. I am currently giving them a probiotic because I was noticing that a few of the chicks were getting pasty butt. Can I put the Corid in with that or would you recommend I stop the probiotic while I give the Corid? I will certainly put together a first aid kit. Is there a certain site that I can go to so that I can investigate what should be included in the kit? Again, thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    2 week old chicks only need ACCESS to that warm a temp. I'd take all heat away for a while and let them be at room/ambient temp. My 3 week old broody raised chicks were happily scratching around in 45 degree weather this am. Some electrolytes or apple cider vinegar in the water will help, maybe some sugar water also. But most important COOL those babies down!

9. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    You are very welcome. There are threads on here that will help you put together your kit. I can tell you what I have in mine, if you like :)

I would stop the probiotic while you give the Corid. I'm not sure that it would hurt but, I do not know if they can be mixed together so, I would rather tell you to stop it then be wrong and have it negate the effects of the medication.

Let me know..I will gladly list my first aid kit contents...be forewarned, it is very extensive.

10. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    This is very good advice. Please make sure that there is only an area that is kept at 85 - 90 degrees. All chicks, no matter how young, need to be able to find a cool place in the brooder if needed. Food and water should be placed away from the heat so that chicks will only go to the heat to sleep. That is the best way to correctly simulate how a hen takes care of her brood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by