4 Bearded Buff Silkie chicks, sexes? PICS!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jan 8, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 bearded buff silkie chicks that are 4 months 5 days old. Now, out of those sure, im positive that 1 is a hen. The other 3 I have no clue.

Now, out of those 3, one of the chicks has reddish wattles already and a somewhat larger comb, so im guessing rooster. The other 2 dont have any wattles, so im guessing hens? (I know that the combs are supposed to be mulberry, but I know that with buffs their comb color is almost always needing improvement.)

Do you think thats right, because if those other 2 were roosters, they would have wattles like the other right?

I will try to get some pictures today or tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If they have no wattles, yes they are pullets.

3. SundownWaterfowl

[​IMG]

The first picture I have no idea. One min. im thinking hen, then rooster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are a couple group shots of the unknown 3.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hmmmmm, i can't tell with the first one. But the other two pics with the trio, just based on stance they look like hen, roo, hen. The one in the middle looks very rooish to me. But whatever they are, they are all very pretty!

5. SundownWaterfowl

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    ya know i've really had to stare at the pics for a bit,lol. in the second pic the middle is definate roo. let me look at the new pics u just posted. i think one on left is a girl the other one is the one i'm not for sure on.

7. SundownWaterfowl

Thats what I was guessing also. I dont have any clue on the chicken in the single picture with the big poof.

The one all the way to the left in the group shot is non-vaulted, the other 2 are vaulted.

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    the one on the right i see both male and female features. it looks like a pullet with the way it stands, shape of crest and tail but in the first pic of it u see it has a wider comb, some of the pics it looks like streamers in the crest just started and then that last pic of it hackle feathers look awful pointed and shinny. i'm not for definate but i wanna say a gorgous roo on that one. [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

Well, that would be fine.

How sure are you that the one all the way to the left is a hen? if it is, and the one all the way on the right is a rooster, then I would have 2 pairs, which would be great.

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    The one in the middle looks rooish. One on the right looks like a pullet in the pics and the one on the left ?
    Sometimes you can feel of the comb and the females tend to be flat where the boys have more of a bump

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by