1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 Benefits of a Mixed Flock of Backyard Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bullitt, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
  2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    My flock is mixed and I love it. Some of my prettiest hens are mixes of different breeds and I stay covered up in eggs. My "mutts" tend to go broody more than my pure breeds. Its also exciting when I am waiting on eggs to hatch because I have no idea what the chicks will look like. As they feather out I try to see which breed characteristics I can spot in each one. I do take care to keep fresh blood in the flock though. I do this by letting a broody sit on golf balls and then slip day old chicks from a local hatchery under her. I am definitely not a chicken snob. I love them all.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Good points! I couldn't have all one breed; I would get so bored lol. I don't have any pure white ones, but I have had almost every color in the book. There's too many to decide on a single breed.

Another benefit to the multicolored egg basket it the multi size difference too. I have a younger daughter that always leaves some of her egg white on her plate, so she gets the polish eggs, and eats the whole thing since its a smaller egg ;)

4. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    There is that also. When they produce chicks, you are surprised by what hatches out. :)

The black sex-link and red sex-link and others like that are just crosses of two breeds, and they are some of the best egg-layers. If you allow eggs from all the hens to hatch you are bound to get some hens that will go broody to hatch out chicks.

5. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    White chickens are pretty common. People used to associate white chickens and white eggs with cleanliness and purity. Now many people associate brown eggs with being farm fresh. It's all wrong, of course.

Anyway, maybe one day you will get a couple White Plymouth Rocks or White Leghorns or Rhode Island Whites or another white breed.

That is cute that your daughter gets the Polish hen's eggs.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

I did have 2 white silkies last year; I guess that could count!

My reason for not having any white ones is pretty lame lol; I didn't like Foghorn Leghorn(the obnoxious rooster from Looney Tunes) when I was a kid :D

I didn't even know there were so many breeds of chickens until I came on here, my family always had flicks of all one bird ha-ha; I started "collecting" different birds based on comb types, colors, egg sizes, etc... Pretty soon I had 50+ chickens! But now I narrowed it down to favorites, and each spring I try a few more. Someday I'll have an Ayam Cemani; those are on my wish list for something totally cool and exotic ;)

7. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I have a mixed flock of Amber-Links, White Leghorn, Buff Brahma, Olive Egger, and Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington. Can I join?

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I did not know we had a club. :)

That is a good mix of breeds/types of chickens. Maybe the Brahmas and Orpingtons will hatch out chicks for you also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by