4 birds left out of 12. Now im really sick myself..getting worried!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencity, Jun 21, 2011.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    My hen that i posted about earlier has passed. it took her 3 days to finally pass. yesterday i found one light Brahma up on the hill dead. Today i found 2 light and 1 buff huddled together under the bridge around 5pm, 2 have passed already. One is still eating and drinking but not very active. All the birds that are affected were bought with in two weeks of each other from tractor supply. They free range with my older chickens and ducks. All my older hens are fine. My millies are fine but they are kept in a tractor but in the same field. all the ducks are fine. so are the goats and dogs. I have 2 lights and 4 buffs left. I took them out of the field and but them in a tractor in the yard with vitamin and electrolytes in their water. All the chickens that are effected are lethargic, clear eyes, clear nose, normal poop, excessive thirst, not real interested in food, real skinny even though they are eating. This is spreading fast! Any ideas would be great!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

How old are they? With the weight loss it could be worms or if young, coccidia.

3. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    they are at least 5 months old.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Have they ever been wormed? Any blood in poo? Any worms in poo? I worm with Safeguard on young birds. Also check for lice and mites in their feathers. If so dust with seven dust or spritz them with Adams flea and tick mist ( only a small spritz under a wing.)

5. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    What ever it is, it is getting stronger with ever chicken it affects. it went from three days before the chicken died to 12 hours after symptoms showed. now it is 4 hours! I fed the chickens this morning at 8:30am i came home at 1:30 and one of my light Brahmas had passed and he was showing no symptoms this morning. I stopped the vitamins in the water and started them on an antibiotic. I went to Tractor supply to ask them what hatchery they came from and if they have had anybody else complaining of sick chickens. They have not had any complaints but they are going to call the hatchery and ask if they know of any problems.

6. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    Other than a salmonella outbreak that is on the CDC website i cant find anything about sick chickens in this area. I just got sick all of a sudden it hit me real fast. light headiness, vomiting, diarrhea, cant hold now food, bad stomach pains. I was completely fine earlier today. no i'm worried

7. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Have you been washing your hands thoroughly after handling your sick/dead birds? Where any pesticides sprayed in the field where the chickens were? Are you on a well? Could it be contaminated?

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I think that you should first get help for yourself. Not even the healthy chicks will be in good shape if you can't care for them.

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    oh please tell me that the OP will not be posting for a while cause, she/he's gone to the dr office Fast...

scary.. really scary .. [​IMG]

sending positive energy your way...
    bb )O(
    Pink

10. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Do I understand correctly that only your new birds are effected, and only after being introduced to your older birds? It could be that the new chickens were exposed to germs in your current flock that their immune systems had never experienced, and had no immunity to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by