4 chicken owner & lurker finally a member now.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kayterz2no1, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kayterz2no1

kayterz2no1 New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    Wilmer, AL
    I lurked on this website for about a month now and finally decided to join. I got my chicks on March 5th and they were different ages so I am still not sure how old everyone is. In my profile picture and one in my album I have BUFFY the Buff Orpington. She is the oldest of the rest and was already probably 6 weeks old when I got her. I say "her" because she is big and has no comb/wattle yet just redness where something may be coming in. If she crows and doesn't lay an egg I guess i'll just have to call her something else. (lol) We started with 4 silkies and are down to 2. One disappeared and one was very sick. The two left are Oscar and Agnes. Oscar is white and Agnes is grey. These two are the same age and were hatched at the same time. Oscar has very prominent comb and wattle coming in but Agnes does not so I assume that Oscar is the roo. Crow, the black cochin was a mishap. He hopped into the carrier when I was getting the rest of the chicks. Originally I only wanted silkies. I assume these chicks to be at least 8 weeks old now since I believe them to be 4 weeks when I got them and we have now had them for 5 weeks.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts here and have learned A LOT. I am a first time chicken owner. We have a couple acres of land and had an old dog run that wasn't being used so I bought a chicken hutch and some chicken wire and got started. The chicken wire around the fence is only temporary while the chicks could fit through the holes. We wanted the chickens for eggs but now it doesn't matter to us. We love them all and since there are only 4 left (Buffy, Crow, Agnes, and Oscar) eggs will not be plentiful. In the future we plan to build a large building type coop that will house many hens for eggs. By then our land will be completely fenced and the chickens will free range around the pasture as they wish along with the goats we plan on getting.

[​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Congratulations on your new hobby and we're glad you're here!
    [​IMG]

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    Sounds like you're having fun, chickens are a great experience! It's good you're free ranging, I think that if you can do that, it's best to do so. Our chickens have freee ranged for years, and they love it.
    If you want any further help with identiifying your birds, post in What breed or gender is this?. Enjoy the site, and see yo uround! :frow

4. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

10. kayterz2no1

kayterz2no1 New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    Wilmer, AL

Thanks. I made a post there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by