4 chickens, 6 eggs, who laid which egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by burchaauch, Feb 23, 2017.

1. burchaauch

burchaauch Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The last two days I got these six eggs from my four chickens. I have two black astralorps, a speckled Sussex and an ameraucana. In a typical day I get two of the smaller light brown eggs and one larger dark brown. Occasionally I get smaller light brown eggs with speckles and sometimes large dark brown with speckles. I once got an enormous dark brown egg full of speckles, the size of a duck egg, but only once. My hens are 34weeks old and first started laying mid-December and I've gotten at least two eggs every day since, even with several feet of snow! Just wondering if my ameraucana is laying brown eggs, I was hoping for blue or green...

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

Are your Ameraucana true Ameraucana (sourced from a breeder) or those sold by hatcheries/feed stores that are actually Easter Eggers? If you are not sure you could post photos of them and we can help you sort that out. The answer to that will have a lot to do with who is likely laying what as true Ameraucana will not lay brown, but EE can.

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    This. Please post pics of the hen. [​IMG]

4. burchaauch

burchaauch Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is so crazy, I went out to take a picture of my ameraucana and I find this bluish green egg in the nesting box! Haha what timing! I'm surprised it took her so long to lay, but it has been a super harsh winter! I now have three distinct eggs, I'm assuming the black australorps are laying the light brown eggs, since I always get at least one per day sometimes two and I have two black australorp hens, is that a reasonable assumption?

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You have a pretty Easter Egger hen thete

1 person likes this.
  6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yep, EE. She's pretty and so is the egg!

1 person likes this.
  7. burchaauch

burchaauch Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    How can you tell the difference between an ameraucana vs easter egger? I thought they were one in the same? My receipt from the hatchery lists both names.

8. Petra Pancake

Petra Pancake Chillin' With My Peeps

There is nothing to add - my best guess is similar to what you wrote: the light brown eggs must be from the Australorps - they also look in the first picture like they come from two different birds of the same breed, one of them lays a little darker than the other. The big brown ones should be from the Speckled Sussex then and the blue one speaks for itself...

1 person likes this.
  9. Petra Pancake

Petra Pancake Chillin' With My Peeps

Ameraucanas are a chicken breed that was developed in the US from the originally South American Araucana chickens. They are a proper breed and lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers are any mixed breeds that have some part of Ameraucana or Araucana blood in them and they lay eggs in a range of colors, from blue to green to olive to brown, depending on their genetic mixture.

2 people like this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    HaHA!!
    'Complaining' on the net gets the bird laying once again!
    Nice colors.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by