4 chickens and 2 roosters, but they are brothers and sisters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by maxandmike, Dec 30, 2010.

1. maxandmike

maxandmike New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    Hi there

I have been looking for information on Inbreeding and I am unsure of what to do.

We have 3 Chickens and 1 Rooster (who are the 4 little Chickens and 2 Rosters parents).

My question is can they just stay like this in their little flock or do I need to get rid of 1 or both of the little roosters? They have just started to crow and they all seem to get along fine, but I am not sure about the whole inbreeding thing with Chickens?

Some advice would be AWESOME:)

Cheers
    MaxandMike

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
  3. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    the first thing that i would say is to get rid of one rooster because your hens will be hurt and there backs skinned up from too much mating
    as for the part about imbreeding i know people that hatched alot of eggs then kept 2 roosters and about 40 hens and hatched from them Brother X Sister then kept some of the hens that they had hatched so father X Daughter and they had the prettiest mixed chickens i had ever seen i just wish i knew what they were.....[​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Depends on their personalities. I have been fortunate to have the most gentle loving roos who treat hens like princesses, but not all roos turn out like that.

Just to help clarify so you can get the help you need, roosters are chickens. Male chickens are roosters and female chickens are hens. I have 2 chickens- a roo and a hen and often hear people refer to them as my chicken and rooster....don't know why that is, but it's awfully common!!!
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by