4 Chicks - 2 Roos 2 Hens?!

jackiehershfeld

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
Maryland
Three weeks ago I got four chicks at the hardware store, and they were supposedly sexed, and approximately 4-6 weeks old. Now that the chicks are about 7-9 weeks, I think I have two roos, two hens. The two that I think are roos have longer combs, that are distinctly red, and the one is very aggressive - ie. kicking at the other chick I think is the other roo. . . What to do!?

Three weeks ago I got four chicks at the hardware store, and they were supposedly sexed, and approximately 4-6 weeks old. Now that the chicks are about 7-9 weeks, I think I have two roos, two hens. The two that I think are roos have longer combs, that are distinctly red, and the one is very aggressive - ie. kicking at the other chick I think is the other roo. . . What to do!?

It sounds like you have roos but pics would help greatly.

These are my "fellas" - also if anyone knows what breed these are that would be a HUGE help to. I have three of the orange/brown and one of the black and white.

Last edited:
Look like boys to me! The blackish one looks like a barred rock or cuckoo maran, closer to maran in my opinion. The other, I'm not sure. I am not good at naming breeds so maybe someone can help you with that.
smile.png

You have a Barred Rock cockerel, a New Hampshire cockerel, a New Hampshire pullet in the back and the other one is a NH also but I can't see the comb to tell gender . It is very improbable that a Cuckoo Marans could be found at a feed store, also Marans have white skin and I can clearly see that the little guy has yellow feet with the typical BR wash.

Thank you so much! The two are definitely New Hampshire pullets. Im just bummed about the Barred Rock being a cockerel as well as one of the New Hampshires. Oh well, I guess I will be finding one of them a new home :(

How old are the birds in the pic? If they're supposed to be 7-9 weeks at that time, I'm not so sure you have males. the barred is most suspicious, but for that age I'd expect to see a lot more comb.

I think your problem with aggression is they're way, way overcrowded in that tub. they're fully feathered and ready to move outside, and they need more space.

I can't quote replies on mobile for some reason. If a chicken has pink in its comb I'd say it's a male because that's WAY too early for a girl, even an early maturing female. I agree with donrae, if that's where they stay, that's way too small. Hopefully you have a coop or at least a larger pen ready?

Last edited:
Thank you all SO much - this is super helpful. We actually just purchased a coop, so they will be moving outside here shortly. I was worried about the weather being too cold for them - I guess I was just waiting for more feathers to come in, but I guess they will be fine. . . it does get to below 32 at night now. Good to know about the possibility of the barred not be a cockerel. They are supposed to be 7-9 weeks old.

They don't look quite that old to me, at that age they should be completely feathered out with no down left. I think they're slow to feather cause they're too warm. Go ahead and move them outside, maybe give them the lamp at night for a few nights, but not during the day. They're fine to be out even in sub-freezing weather, and they'll really appreciate the space.

Back
Top Bottom