4 chicks hatched and some eggs are still chirping broody won't sit on eggs any more

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ERICKA1546, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ERICKA1546

ERICKA1546 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Hello! We have 4 new chicks and eggs still left but mother hen doesn't want anything to to with the rest of the eggs. I did the water test and they are rocking and rollin and i even heard loud chirps coming from them. there were no pips hence the reason i did the water test. what should i do. we live in the CA valley so its very warm here usually in the 100's. should i just let nature do its thing or intervene?

Thank You =)

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How long ago did the others hatch? Do you have an incubator you could put them in? (although it sounds like you wouldn't necessarily need one with those temps!) Another option could be to take the babies from the mother - she might go back to the eggs... Maybe not, though, since she's already bailed. That might have only worked if she's still on the nest. This is not a problem I have dealt with, so I can't say for sure.

3. ERICKA1546

ERICKA1546 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    They hatched monday night/tuesday morning. No we don't have and incubator and i don't think that i can take her babies from her she is crazy protective! I wish i wouldn't have even checked i will fee so bad if the other chicks die/don't hatch especially since i can hear them chipping. i have read that some people pip the eggs for the chick to see if that helps it along is that something you have heard of / done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by