4 Chooks - only 1 lays eggs (~9 months old)

In winter months we used to use an energy efficient bulb on a timer to provide light predawn and a bit post dusk adding up to 12 hours total daylight for them. It definitely increases laying. Basically we never saw a reduction in laying of our pullets over winter with that amount of light. This year I didn't bother setting up the lighting but likely will next year. We never add heat either and come January experience a few night lows of -30F.

The Original Poster is in Australia, it is not winter there anymore so the poster is correct to turn off the light--it's not going to help much anymore.

I have 3 5mo. old barred rocks, one of them layed a small egg about a week and a half ago and nothing since then. Should I be worried?

No need to worry yet. It can take them some time to get into the swing of things. You might want to make sure she isn't laying somewhere else though--new layers sometimes drop eggs in weird places. Also, sometimes if she lays somewhere like on a shelf or somewhere higher the egg can roll off, break and will be eaten immediately. Same goes with soft-shelled eggs, which young pullets sometimes lay--they will be eaten and you may never know they were there. As long as the birds have access to good layer feed with enough calcium, things will straighten out if you're patient.

I'm a bit concerned that one looks like she is molting--the one on the perch in the top photo. It looks like she's got sparse feathers on her neck, and missing some tail feathers. I've had chickens come into molt under a year old, but it's usually after they've been laying for a few months and going into winter. I suppose there is a chance that due to when the chicks were hatched compared to when winter came they didn't lay--but if she is molting I'd be more concerned that the birds are older than they say. I also believe that "early" molters are poorer layers than "late" molters.

Yep- actually she behaves a little odd too. The other 3 are quite calm and social, but she gets frantic when you try to get near her. Also the others do not seem to get on with her all that much (pecking her away when she goes for some scraps near them). worried that she was a bit stressed. A couple of days I separated her, reintroduceding her yesterday.

Will just see how things go. They haven't changed colour/size over the nearly 3 months I've had them. Are there any ways for a newbie to age ISA browns?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks, I do keep checking the coop and run for eggs so I guess I just have to wait.
I'm getting anywhere from 15-19 eggs/day in the coop and all the girls know where the coop is and where the nesting boxes are. I have barrels that I have cut in 1/2 that I use for hay for the horses and I have to check those daily too. I frequently find 2 or more eggs out in one of the feeders. I forgot to check for a whole week because I was getting a good number of eggs in the coop and when I checked, voila, I had a whole bunch more eggs out in the feeders! Another time, they found a corner near where I store the shavings, then another they were up in the hay stack......Chickens are some creative little beasties!

Back
Top Bottom