4 day old chick being pecked by the other's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L Jones, Oct 17, 2013.

1. L Jones

L Jones New Egg

May 31, 2009
    Cust, North Canterbury
    My 4 day old chicks are pecking the vent of one chick it was bleeding and it has no down around the vent and a wee way up its back, how can I stop this. They have got a white heat light.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    try a red bulb heat light, you can get these at your local farm store. also put some blue kote on the wound

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It may be very hard to stop it now. You might put them under a red lamp instead of white, bright white lights constantly shining down on them can stress them, as can not enough space. How big is the brooder? If the one chick has been pecked to the point of bleeding you need to remove it for a few days and give it time to heal, or section off part of the brooder for it. Wash the wound and coat with Neosporin, plain NOT the kind with pain reliever in it. I would put some BluKote on it before you put her back with the others. With luck they may just forget about it after a few days.

Give them as much space as you can and places to hide. Watch closely and see if there is one bird who is the instigator. If you have an aggressive bird you may need to separate that one for a few days and see if the others settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by