1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 Day old chick can't walk/stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debs55, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I checked on the chicks this morning and they were all fine. Whenever I check if any one is laying down I always bump the cage or open it to make sure everyone moves. I went down tonight and one of my cornish X's was sitting on another one. I opened the brooder to get her off and of course she and all the other chicks started running around except for the one who was being sat on. I picked her up and sat her on her feet and she just fell over. I brought her in and gave her some sav-a- chick with a little sugar in it from a syringe and she drank it. I tried to give her a little egg yolk and she took a very small amount. I have her in a box under a heat lamp with wav-a-chick and flock raiser (what I always feed my chicks) She is sitting up now and holding her head up. She tried to stand but fell over.

Anything else I should do?

I also have some pedialight/ electrolyte stuff that we use to give our goats when they get sick. Should I give her some of that? or some gatorade?
    I'm also boiling some eggs so I can try to give her that.

How often should I give her water with a syringe?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Are you allowing the Cornish x access to feed 24/7? You run the risk of them over eating and dropping dead, I have always found it best to take away their food at night.

3. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

They had access to food 24/7 but I was going to stop that at 2 weeks because that was what I had read you were supposed to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by