4 day old chick - can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lsv313, Sep 4, 2010.

1. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I have a 4 day old cornish x that arrived from the mail unable to stand up and walk. I tried the bandaid splint, but it didn't seem to help at all. It's legs aren't splayed, it just can't seem to use them. I've been giving it vitamin/electrolyte water and hoping for the best, but it can't get up to eat or drink on it's own. I've tried feeding it, but it doesn't seem to want to eat. I've managed to force feed it a few crumbs, but it really fights eating (it is feisty even though it's lame). I put some food right in front of it's face (it's alone in quarantine) but it will NOT eat. Is there any hope for this little one? Is there anything more I can do? [​IMG] It is so sad to see it lying there. It is such a sweet little thing and I hate to see it like this.

2. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    Can you give it a buddy of the same age? Chickens are social creatures.

I don't know about the legs. Usually chicks that can't get up at all don't make it. It depends why it's lame.

3. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    It is now 5 days old... it won't give up! It has a lot of fight in it still. I always think it'll be dead by morning, or when I get home... but it's always still there. It is hard to know what to do with it. It's hanging on, but not seeming to get any better. It is in a separated part of the brooder with the rest of the chicks, so it is not completely alone. I feel awful seeing it like it is, but I don't want to kill it if there's a chance it can make it - I don't know that I'd even be able to kill it anyways. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by