4 day old chick constantly pecking her vent - help please

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I've asked this question on the Chick Raising section but didn't get an answer yet. So I've come to your combined wisdom for some answers.

I have 14 4-day old chicks. 5 breeds (Light Brahma, Dominique, Black Australorp, Welsumer and Wyandottes). One of the Light Brahmas had a bit of poo sticking to her behind yesterday. I tried cleaning it off but failed and since I saw her eliminating, I thought I'd be ok.

This morning I saw her frequently pecking at her own vent area. The bit of poo is mostly gone but the area is starting to get bald and pinkish. I didn't see any blood yet, I see other chicks occasionally pecking at her rear as well (but only occasionally). I haven't actually seen her poop today, but I haven't kept an eye on her constantly either. She is running around, eating and drinking and her general appearance is healthy and happy, it just seems she is overly preoccupied with preening her behind.

So what should I do? My options as I see them are:

1. I leave her to it, just checking that she is not drawing blood
2. spray some blue kote on her behind hoping to discourage her and the other chicks from further pecking
3. isolate her in a box to see if she is actually pooping

What do you all think? Is this normal, should I not worry? This is my first time getting chicks so I'm perhaps overprotective.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like she had and/or has pasty butt. You could dab a teeny bit of olive oil on her vent and just keep an eye on the situation to make sure no more poop sticks and she doesn't get pecked to the point of bleeding. If it looks like the area is already irritated, blu kote might not be a bad idea. I used it when my week old chick lost the tip of it's toe and it healed right up.

Back
Top Bottom