4 day old chick in trouble...help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychix, Oct 19, 2008.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I have 25 new babes and when I got them I noticed that one had a raw neck...maybe from pecking. She seemed fine until today. I have her sectioned off away from the others in the brooder. Shes eating and drinking a bit but doesn't seem to want to run around much, almost like her little legs are weak. Do you think she'll come out of it? She is a crested pullet and I'd hate to lose her.

2. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd keep her warm and give supliments. Vitamins, minerals, etc. She may just be a little weak. Oh, and I'd give her a stuffed animal to cuddle with, too.

3. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    What kind of supplements/vitamins? I don't have anything on hand for chickens but I can go in the morning if I have to.

4. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Here is a recipe for an electrolyte mix that you can give her:

1 cup hot water
    2 tsp sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    Mix together to dissolve. Let cool.

Add 1 tsp of mixture to a gallon of cold water

She's probably just weak, so make sure she drinks that. Also, a lot of people on the forums here give their chicks a mixture of chick starter and yogurt, so you could try that. You can put her with a stuffed animal, or you can give her another small, CALM chick. If the area is red, a red light will stop the other chicks from picking at it.
    Make sure that she's warm enough, but not too warm.
    We had polish before and we ended up giving them much more attention than the others. I remember that mine were very small compared to the others.
    Also, remember to check for pasty butt. It can cause death, but probably won't be much of a worry for you since she's a couple days old. But be sure to check periodically!

I hope that helps, and good luck with her!

Chelsea

5. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Thank you very much for the recipe. I have to try something. She is such a sweetie. She is pooping fine and it looks healthy. I noticed her drinking and eating too.
    [​IMG]

6. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Some of the folks in this forum recommend Poly-vi-sol. The one without Iron. It's a liquid baby vitamin.

7. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Just wanted you to know...baby chick is now doing fine. I gave them that potion...[​IMG] Back with all the others and being fine....thank u![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by