4 day old chick not eating/leg injury

pilatik

Chirping
May 24, 2015
I have a 4 day old chick that hasn't eaten yet and need some suggestions to help keep it going. So far I've been giving it pedialyte in a syringe and that seems to work. I've also been scraping a bit of soaked chick crumbles into its beak. It will eat them, but seems to be getting weaker. How often should I be feeding/watering her?

Other things:

When she hatched, she pecked through her yolk sack. I didn't think she'd make it out of the egg, but she did. Definitely didn't absorb all of the yolk though -- she's noticeably smaller than the other chicks.

She was trampled by the stronger girls on day 1. Checking through here, it looked like maybe her tendon in her leg had popped out. I straightened the leg and rubbed it and did feel the tendon pop back into place. But because of the injury, she's got a little straw on her leg to hold the leg straight and is hanging out in a sock under a heat lamp.

I did check for pasty butt and just cleaned her up for it today. Hoping that helps.

She doesn't chirp -- makes a little clicking noise instead. Definitely not her breathing though.

Even with all this going on, this poor chick has really been fighting. I thought she'd die on Saturday but has just kept going. So I want to give her a shot if I can -- the legs look like they're straight now and she can push down on my hand, but is too weak to stand. I'm thinking if I can get her eating properly she might do okay.

So: How often should I be feeding/watering her? How much at once? Should I keep going with pedialyte and chick crumbles or switch to something else?

Or... does this sound like I should just cull her?

Back
Top Bottom