4 day old chick standing funny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luka26, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Luka26

Luka26 New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    Help! My first ever batch of chicks hatched a couple of days ago. We had a heat wave during their third week of incubating and the temperature spiked a few times. One of the chicks hatched with curled toes and what we thought was splayed legs. I made shoes for her to try and straighten her toes which has had some success, and will be putting more shoes on her to see if I can straighten the rest of her toes. I have also made he a brace for her splayed legs which she had on for 3 days, I took it off because it seemed like it was unbalancing her and I wanted to see if it had made a difference, she can stand up but she stand on a strange angle with her rump higher than her head. She can stand like this but loses her balance easily and struggles to walk. I am wondering if it is perhaps more than splayed legs. A second chick hatched with one splayed leg and I have successfully corrected that one and it is now happily running around with the others. She is a strong chick, and is drinking and eating. What else can I try? I don't want to lose her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Aww, it's such a cutie - hope it recovers completely. I don't know what to suggest other than research similar symptoms that other people have posted about. For example, do a search on "chicks legs lopsided" or "toes curled", etc, etc. Also, are the joints swollen, does it limp, fall down and does it seem to be in pain? There is SO much information already on here and I hope you discover best how to help your baby![​IMG] The fact that it is eating and drinking is a good sign!! Take care! [​IMG]

3. Luka26

Luka26 New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks :) I have tried searching and i find heaps of information on curled toes which I am fixing with wee shoes. They are already much better, they were all really curled when she hatched. I also find heaps of info on spraddle/splayed legs but none of them seem to be quite the same as this wee one.I am really hoping someone out there with more experience than me has had a similar problem and has some suggestions? She doesn't appear to be in any pain, and her joints dont seem to be swollen. She does fall down sometimes because she is a bit unbalanced, she topples forwards but just gets back up again.

4. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    It's hard to find an exact case scenario, but hopefully you'll gain a piece of information here and there that will make the difference. And, maybe [​IMG] someone with experience will see your post and tell you what they did with a similar situation. It's so hard when you have a sick or struggling chick. I've assisted a couple in hatching and then tried to save it and it's heart-wrenching to see them suffer. I tell myself not to touch them, but then I can't keep my hands off them. A few months ago I assisted one and than nursed it for 4 days, but it didn't make it. Yours is doing worlds better than mine was. You are doing a good job at helping it the best you know how. I would try to straighten the toes (with a "shoe") but maybe let it gain strength on it's own too. Sometimes nature just has to run its course. Hopefully it will continue to fight and improve. Please update how things are going. [​IMG]

Today was lockdown for 4 silkie eggs and I'm just praying they all hatch healthy and strong in a few days. It's probably best if I go away for hatchday!

5. Luka26

Luka26 New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    Thank you for your good wishes. All the best for your upcoming hatch! [​IMG] Fingers crossed for a successful hatch. I will let you know how we get on with our wee one.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is that how the chick has always stood? She is so straight legged with no bend at the hock. You can't even see hocks on her. Poor baby has such a stilted look . I have never seen that in any of the thousands of pictures that have appeared on BYC. If her legs cannot be flexed manually (gently) I would assume she was born with this condition, and that it won't improve. This only means she would have that posture but, get much better at balancing with it. Seems to be a little doll and if she is not in pain, I'd let her be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by