4 day old chick struggling

Violanna

Songster
Nov 25, 2022
DFW Texas
This is Peepers, thus named because she never stops chirping. She is my smallest chick so I have been keeping a close eye on her. I have noticed she isn’t exactly struggling to breathe but she definitely uses her whole body to breathe. She is 4 days old but hardly grown she is still barely able to stand. The other chicks tend to pick on her. Also she just doesn’t have ‘bright eyes’ like the rest of the chicks. She isn’t showing any common disease symptoms, So I can’t tell if she is just having a slow start or is actually sick. Please help!

Attachments

• 18B395E3-EA0E-4878-A230-5F096EA4AA2F.jpeg
    18B395E3-EA0E-4878-A230-5F096EA4AA2F.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 7E6F2309-7F6A-45E0-B1F1-ECD41AD0794F.jpeg
    7E6F2309-7F6A-45E0-B1F1-ECD41AD0794F.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 4
Does she throw up or have spasms? If not, are you putting apple cider in their water? What does her poo look like?
No none of that. I have not added Apple cider, usually it until after 1 week old. And poo is a touch more solid than my first group I raised. But still soft and normal color.

Was able to get a similar water additive at my local feed store and look at this! Peepers has bee guzzling it down! It’s so true that these animals really know what their bodies need! I was worried since she has barely been eating and drinking enough to survive that I wouldn’t get much of the vitamins into her! I’ll keep you updated on if she starts to look better! She was much worse this morning.

Attachments

• CF01E76E-13AA-4344-8E76-5683C7CA7E35.jpeg
    CF01E76E-13AA-4344-8E76-5683C7CA7E35.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 5
Well a few hours later and she isn’t doing any better and the other chicks were picking on her way too much. So I’m isolating her for 2 hours just to make sure she gets her fill!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 6
What is the supplement you got? Is it a liquid or powder? The good thing about Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell is they can be given orally a few drops daily as a boost. Putting them in the water requires them to take a lot of water, so it won’t work as quickly. I would try and dip her beak into her water and food every hour, and make sure that she is warm enough. Check her vent to make sure there is no dried poop stuck.

What is the supplement you got? Is it a liquid or powder? The good thing about Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell is they can be given orally a few drops daily as a boost. Putting them in the water requires them to take a lot of water, so it won’t work as quickly. I would try and dip her beak into her water and food every hour, and make sure that she is warm enough. Check her vent to make sure there is no dried poop stuck.
It was a powder all the liquids they had didn’t have any of the same vitamins. She definitely has had quite a bit of it. I’ve been keeping a very close eye on her all day. In the 25 mins she has been in isolation she has been eating nonstop. I’m starting to think she was just being picked on so much that she wasn’t eating.

Back
Top Bottom