4 day old chick with weepy eyes, need advice please

Peeps4me

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Southern Indiana
My 4 day old d'Uccle chick has watery eyes and it doesn't seem to open its eyes as wide as the other chicks. I just looked at its eyes with magnification and it appears they are circled with ?pus or some type of film. I think it has vision as it is eating and drinking well, but doesn't seem to be as active as the other chicks. Is this something common? Do I need to have it on some antibiotic eye ointment? Any advice would be appreciated.

Has anyone else had this problem in a chick? I have rinsed the eyes with clear warm water and this morning it seems to look and feel better but I don't know if there is an underlying condition (infection?) that I should be treating. I am new at this and this little one is only 5 days old and I want it to do well. Any advice???

I have 2 big, roomy brooders going with a total of 28 d'Uccle chicks. Fifteen are going to their new home in a couple hours. My setup is in my house, plenty of fresh air but under the lights with a temp of 85 -90 degrees. Plenty of medicated chick starter from day one and fresh water changed several times daily. Clean pine shavings for bedding. All other chicks have clear eyes. This chick does not sneeze and is eating and drinking well. I know he has vision from the way he interacts with other chicks and gets around in the brooder. This morning he is more active then yesterday so I think he feels better.

Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in here and offer some more suggestions. How is the chick today?

Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in here and offer some more suggestions. How is the chick today?

I just rinsed the eyes with warm water and on the third day they cleared up and no problems since. Happy, healthy chick with bright clear eyes. Thanks for asking.

Glad to hear your chick is doing well. I'm so paranoid with every little noise my chicks make, mostly because of a suspected respiratory infection that, thankfully, seems to be clearing up. But now I have the whole, "your flock will be carriers forever" thing hanging over my head. I swear, I had an easier time raising my kids when they were infants!

Glad to hear your chick is doing well. I'm so paranoid with every little noise my chicks make, mostly because of a suspected respiratory infection that, thankfully, seems to be clearing up. But now I have the whole, "your flock will be carriers forever" thing hanging over my head. I swear, I had an easier time raising my kids when they were infants!

Glad things are improving with your flock. Try not to stress over "carriers forever". That's probably not the case.

Back
Top Bottom