4 day old chicks keep dying!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl1230, Feb 13, 2015.

1. chickengirl1230

chickengirl1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday I bought some chicks and have already lost 2 of them. I can't figure out what's happening to them. They have water,food, a clean brooder you, and they have plenty of room. I have had chickens for about 5 years, getting more chicks every year and usually don't lose this many. In the last group I got 7 died! Does anyone know what's going on and what I can do? I just don't want to lose any more I hate seeing them die. They just keep laying on their side with theirs eyes shut faintly peeping and every once in a while jerking :hit :barnie please help!

Thank you

Taylor

2. kayakfish

kayakfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Cumberland, VA
    pics? They will help some, if they are laying on their sides with one leg outstretched sounds like Merecks, they will come down with limping to paralysis, to one side.

3. chickengirl1230

Sorry I don't have any pics right now I have them in a barn in our backyard. Do you know what causes it and what I could do? There aren't any doing it right now all the ones that did it died within the hour.:hit :cd

4. chickengirl1230

I will try to get a pic next time I go out and see one doing it

5. barredrckgirl

barredrckgirl New Egg

Feb 13, 2015
    Are you putting the electrolytes/vitamins in the water? When I ordered mine and they arrived, w/in the 1st 3 days we lost 5 from the stress of the trip. I started adding the electrolytes and vitamins in the water and didn't lose anymore.

6. chickengirl1230

No but I have been looking at them, what type do you use?

7. barredrckgirl

barredrckgirl New Egg

Feb 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. barredrckgirl

barredrckgirl New Egg

Feb 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Not to be obtuse but what is the temperature in the brooder?

10. catskidshenry

catskidshenry New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    I used a heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by